Thanks Patrick.  See below.

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org> wrote:
> Stack you might look at the following:
>
> 1) why does server 14 have such a low recv count?

> while the other servers are at 3.7k + received. Did server 14 fail at some
> point? Or it's network? This may have caused the timeout seen by the client:

Ok.  Will check into this the next time.  I did take the dump after
the observed TIMED_OUT, a good while after.  Could this be why the
numbers are low?

> ------snippet-----
> 2010-02-21 18:23:55,583 [main-SendThread] INFO
> org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxn: Attempting connection to server
> 14.u.XXX.com/X.X.X.141:2181
> 2010-02-21 18:24:00,423
> [regionserver/208.76.44.140:60020.compactor-SendThread] WARN
> org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxn: Exception closing session
> 0x226ed968a270003 to sun.nio.ch.selectionkeyi...@2a50e9a3
> java.io.IOException: TIMED OUT
>        at
> org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxn$SendThread.run(ClientCnxn.java:906)
> -----------
>
> 2) connection timeout is different from session timeout. connection timeout
> is the amount of time we allow for connection establishment (socket open)
> until the server accepts the connection, this value is the session timeout
> (as requested by the client) divided by the number of hosts in the host
> list. This could account for why the timeout (above snippet) occurred after
> 5 seconds. What timeout value is this client using? 15 seconds?

We ask for a session timeout of 60 seconds -- the hbase default -- and
our ticktime is 3 seconds.

You are not troubled at all by the exceptions closing sessions above?
 Are these just noise?

Thanks for the input,
St.Ack