the difference between close and disconnect is that close will actually try to tell the server to kill the session before disconnecting.

a paranoid lock implementation doesn't need to test it's session. it should just monitor watch events to look for disconnect and expired events. if a client is in the disconnected state, it cannot reliably know if the session is still active, so it should consider the lock in limbo until it gets either the reconnect event or the expired event.

ben