Usually, this exception means that the server closed the socket. Are you
seeing anything strange in the server log?

The null pointer exception is coming from the code that parses the hostPort
list. Since you are running in standalone mode your hostPort should be a
string of the form host:port. The relevant code is the following:

        String hostsList[] = hosts.split(",");
        for (String host : hostsList) {
            int port = 2181;
            String parts[] = host.split(":"); // LINE 218

It would seem that host is null, but I'm at a complete loss for how that could
be...

ben