Hi --

   Thanks for this enlightening thread!  Having not had the time to
study the code in detail, I too have been uncertain as to whether Paxos
was or was not at the core of ZooKeeper's coordination guarantees.

  One reason I was unclear was the small parenthetical comment on:

http://zookeeper.wiki.sourceforge.net/ZooKeeperGuarantees

which states "(This is called the _monotonicity condition_ in Paxos.)"
Without additional information, it's not clear whether this just notes
a minor point of similarity between two different algorithms, or implies
that Paxos is part of ZooKeeper.  If you could include some of the recent
mailing list discussion on the Wiki, I suspect it would help future
readers.

Chris.

P.S.  Glad to hear you're joining as an Apache project.  :-)

--
GPG Key ID: 366A375B