I have put changes that fix the arguably completely broken behavior for CMFTopic Date criteria on a branch:

For those who are interested, it would be nice if you could give it a quick test and see if there are "logic errors".

The only drawback is the fact that there really isn't much we can do to be 100% backwards compatible as far as the old behavior goes for people who might rely on it. What is the backwards-compatibility consensus as far as changes go that will not break old software, but fix a really broken behavior?