On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 23:29:11 -0000, Jens Vagelpohl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 12 Jan 2006, at 22:10, Martin Aspeli wrote:
The only thing that bothers me is the lack of local skin customisations. Does that mean that there is *no* way to e.g. overide document_view.pt or whatever else? Or just no TTW way? In fact, I'm -1 on releasing with either limitation, but I think having no way of doing local skin customisations is a major drawback, and would be show-stopper as far as I'm concerned. At least in the Plone sphere, skin customisations is generally the first thing people do, and one of the things that make them like the stack - how easy it is to make UI-level changes (which is all a lot of people want to do). Do I have to make a package, with new content type and a pile of ZCML just because I want my Description to be at the bottom rather than the top of my Document view? That's a fairly drastic reduction in functionality and friendliness for the average Joe, don't you think?

The version of Plone that may use a version of CMF 2.x is far far away as far as I can tell. This is not a showstopper for the 2.0 release.

Sure, Plone 2.5 will not use CMF 2, but that doesn't mean that Plone's use cases and experiences don't apply to other CMF users. The TTW customisation may be more important for the audience Plone pitches to, so that's fine. I was generally worried that there was *no* way of doing skin-only customisations, but Rocky seems to say that isn't the case, which is of course a lot better.

Indeed, when Plone starts depending on CMF 2 (which may happen for the 3.0 release cycle) we'd look to find a way to make skin/template-only customisations work TTW (at least I'd push for that); if that work's interesting to CMF, it may land there. So long as there's still an easy and well-documented way of customising templates, I'm happy.

Sorry for the confusion...

Martin

--
(muted)