Hi Tres!

Tres Seaver wrote:

  - The "upgrade" feature you talk about for CPS sounds a bit like what
    the "version" attribute was originally for on import steps:  in the
    original implementation, the tool knew what versions of import steps
    had been run in the past, and you could see which steps were "newer"
    (or had never been run) on the import view.  I don't know where that
    feature went.   It seems as though we should either add your update
    feature, or else resurrect the "version" UI (or maybe both?)
I have to admit that I never understood why import steps have a
"version" attribute. And I still don't understand that concept: Does
that mean each upgrade needs its own import steps?

The use case was that, over time, an import step might be updated.  If you
had installed your site before the update, then your configuration might
also need to be updated.

I first was confused by these sentences because currently import_steps.xml just registers handlers which might be used by many profiles. So reading "import step" I thought you meant the import handler. But if an "import step" represents a subset of a specific profile this starts to make sense.

Some version of the setup tool (maybe never
publicly released) tracked the 'version' last installed for each step,
and would show you the steps which were out-of-date, or had never been
installed, in a way which made them easy to distinguish.  I think there
was a convenience button which ran only such steps, as well.

I don't think I ever saw a version that implemented this. And I'm not sure if GenericSetup should implement this. But at least I understand now why import steps have a "version" attribute.