Tres Seaver wrote:
I'm not sure what impact that would have for the already-converted code
which used to use the API.  I can see value both in leaving it
converted, as showing the Zope3-ish way, as well as in reverting some or
all of it.  For instance, perhaps we should consider reverting just
those changes which look up acquisition-dependent tools, since the call
site has now become required to manage the wrapper itself.

I would only be comfortable doing that if we had unit tests for those tools that aren't acquisition-dependent. And by unit test, I mean real unit tests and not a ZopeTestCase. That's the only way we can really be sure that that a tool can function as a utility, an independent component, w/o acquisition.

Not knowing the codebase, I suspect that this isn't the case and suggest using getToolByName for all right now and adding such tests to the TODO list for the next CMF release.