Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
Hanno Schlichting wrote:
I would say that all of Acquisition is dark implicit magic and something
I expect when developing in Zope 2. When using Zope 3 concepts in Zope 2
I also expect the need to make the Zope 3 code Acquisition aware. One
prime example are browser views, which I need to mix in Acquisition in
order for them to work.

But Products.Five.BrowserView hides that particular detail from you, as much as getToolByName could hide the acquisition detail when looking up tools.

You're suggesting to introduce yet another package that's destined to go a way at some point, while the same functionality is already available, it only needs to be un-deprecated...

I don't agree. CMF 2.0's getToolByName() requires context object and tool name as arguments, the tool has to be a content space object. That's quite different to five.lsm's getUtility():

- You can easily replace z2-style tools by z3-style utilities. getUtility doesn't care about the implementation, just about the interface.

- You don't have to provide a context object. This makes it easier to write new z3-style code.

I prefer the solution proposed by Hanno.