If I define a catalog index with GenericSetup, GS kindly removes the index of the same name if it exists, and then add it again. This is probably a good intention. However, when I reinstall a product (in this case, a Plone product), removing and adding back the index causes the indexed values to be lost. If the index definition has not changed, there is no real need to remove it and add it back.

I wonder what is the reason why GS remove all indexes, instead of comparing existing indexes with the ones listed in the import step, and adding new ones and removing and adding back only those that have changed.

(As an alternative, I could ask GS to reindex my index after having added it. However, it might not be such a good idea, though, because reindexing an index is expensive.)

Damien Baty
Pilot Systems - 9, rue Desargues - 75011 Paris - France
Telephone : +33 (0)1 44 53 05 55 - http://www.pilotsystems.net
Free Zope & Plone hosting - http://www.objectis.org