Miles wrote:

[..]

I suppose the slight deviation from BBB is that if someone is using a custom catalog (for example a "day-of-week-to-show" flag to provide random search results), they'll also need to provide some sort of customisation when objects are fetched by uid to get the same thing to happen. Given the number of people actually using CMFUid and the obscurity of the use-case, I think this might be acceptable to just document (and/or provide some sort of adapter-based customisation so it's easy).

Does that sound BBB enough? I can't think of anything else that might break but that's what tests are for right :-) ?

Just want to sneak in the following here:

One prominent "user" of CMFUid is CMFEditions which in turn
underlys Plone's content versioning support. As long as that
continues to work you're probably on the safe side. I myself
have no clue how closely they are coupled but I recall that
CMFUid was factored out from CMFEditions as people realized
it might be of more general use but also to allow for easy
replacement of this component.

Raphael

Miles