Right you are.

Here's what I've learned: MySQL 5.0.2 supports something called
INFORMATION_SCHEMA (a SQL '99 standard that few DBMS makers have
implemented) - see
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/information-schema.html.  It lets you do
queries such as:

select * from information_schema.table_constraints where
constraint_type='foreign key'

which is exactly what I need.  Alas, my Zope host (zettai.net) only has
MySQL 4.x at present, so the best available is to do a "show create table"
query, and then parse the DDL that it returns into my own "catalog" tables.

Next question:  Does anybody know of a callable SQL parser (that can handle
'create table' DDL statements) available out there in Zope-land or
Python-land?

- Thanks, Ken