"Chris Withers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Jeffrey P Shell wrote:
>> _getOb and _setOb are for placing subobjects somewhere besides attributes
>> (which is the default implementation).
> When would __getattr__ be used then?

In what context?  You could wire __getattr__ to call into _getOb (and
probably __getitem__ too, since that's also used in traversal and as a way
of getting non-Pythonic ID'd objects).

def __getattr__(self, attr):
    return self._getOb(attr)

Until very recently, __getattr__ on persistent objects was like playing with
nuclear fire.  But now, I *believe* it behaves properly, which means
__getattr__ gets called when it receives an unknown name.  How that affects
Acquisition, I don't know.