On Sun, 11 Mar 2001, Morten W. Petersen wrote:
> but no such luck.  If I for example specify 'Check against server: Never'
> in IE, the pages are cached, no matter what.
>
> Is it possible to ensure that pages are always fresh, even if it is
> specified on the client side that the client should never try to
> retrieve a 'fresher' page?

In my experience, IE cache control is badly broken.  Using the random
id in the URL is, as far as I've been able to figure out, the only
way to *guarantee* a fresh grab.  There have been several discussions
of this problem on the mailing list in the past, and you can certainly
experiment with all of the suggestions that have been floated...but
I don't know of a definitive solution other than the random id.

--RDM