At 05:58 PM 3/29/01 -0500, Steve Spicklemire wrote:

>bring up a point I've been wondering about anyway. Now that Ty and
>Phillip have moved on to TransWarp, who will be maintaining all the
>changes to ZPatterns? SteveA has done a great job of keeping a
>modified version available for folks running 2.3.X, but I've seen no
>motion to move those changes into the "real" ZPatterns. Now if you
>find a great optimization, will it get movedinto ZPatterns too?

The reason I haven't moved Steve Alexander's changes in, is that there's
not an easy way to make them backward compatible with 2.2.x.  All of the
production applications Ty and I have are on 2.2.x Zopes, and we'd like to
not break them.  Zope 2.3.x is still too fresh for us to use for production
apps - we'd like to see the double-dot releases and hotfixes to slow to
more of a trickle before we upgrade.  Once we're ready to upgrade, I'll put
SteveA's changes in place.  Meanwhile, any patches submitted which are not
2.3.x-dependent can still be accepted.  Unfortunately, SteveA gave me his
patches all in one big gulp and I really don't want to take the time to
split it out.

I really expected 2.3.x to stabilize faster for some reason, although in
retrospect the 2.2.x series took this long to stabilize also.  Ah well.

Anyway, when I do that stuff, I'll be putting in the "kickTriggers"
feature, too, but I expect to modify it slightly in name and function, to
something like "forceChangedStatus(attributeName)" or
"forceStatus('CHANGED')".