Hi there,

We're planning a Yahoo! Clubs like system that should scale to about 30,
000 users.  Assuming about 3,000 groups and 20MB per group (group
functionality includes photo albums), gives a database size of 60GB.
Assuming on average 3,000 users per day, 20 page views per users, gives
about 60,000 page views (not a lot, but if it's all dynamically

We'd like to use Zope for this, if it is possible.  Other options are ok
too; anyone have any experience with other ready-made systems?

At this scale, how would ZODB hold up with respect to memory use and
speed?  I've heard rumors that it loads an index into memory on

How would using Oracle as a Storage (ZODB semantics) help?

Going full-scale RDBMS means we'd have to reimplement a lot of existing
useful tools, so we'd rather not do that if using Zope.

I know we'll have to play with cacheing as well, and as I see there are
these options:

- SQL method cacheing

- Using StandardCacheManagers to cache Python and DTML methods

- Using StandardCacheManagers to cache pages (using, e.g., Squid as an
HTTP accelerator)

- ZEO client object cacheing

Any other ideas?

Bjorn Stabell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>