This bug has been reported quite often and is still there.
I debugged this one and here are my findings:

The reason behind this is the range optimization, that
sorts requested http ranges in ascending order
(done in OFS/Image.py and ZPublisher/HTTPRangeSupport.py)

The acrobat plugin is definitely unhappy with these
sorted ranges that Zope uses for creating the response.
Acrobat expects the ranges in the very same order it
has requested them.

RFC 2068 is unclear on this point, so I would consider
it at least questionable whether range sorting is allowed.
As some clients do not work with sorted ranges it should
probably be considered as evil.

I suggest the following bugfix:

http://www.zope.org/Members/must/Zope_HTTPRange-patch

This patch applies to Zope 2.4.4 and inhibits any range
optimization. The Acrobat plugin will display pdf files
without any problems after applying this patch.

Markus Stoll

--
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web:    http://www.junidas.de/