On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 10:17:00AM +0200, Markus Stoll wrote:
> The acrobat plugin is definitely unhappy with these
> sorted ranges that Zope uses for creating the response.
> Acrobat expects the ranges in the very same order it
> has requested them.

Sorry, further reading on my part. What Acrobat reader version, Browser
version and Zope version?

*Not* sorting the ranges causes considerable performance loss on the Zope
server. I have tested Acrobat reader version 5 on Mozilla (0.9 and up),
Netscape 4.7 and Internet Explorer 5.5 and up with this and all combinations
work with the current code.

There was a bug in the way ranges that touch upon each other (no overlap,
just no seam) were optimized away, and the way Netscape 4.7 uses a draft
version of the spec instead of the released version. These have been fixed.

As the spec does not prohibit sorting, and perfomance loss is fenomenal on
large files, I would need considerable justification for not using sorted
ranges. If you use Zope 2.4, then you are probably experiencing one of the
above mentioned bugs.

--
Martijn Pieters