I've started work on a new-style ExtensionClass. This is a port of ExtensionClass to new-style classes. This will provide a number of advantages:
- Use of new-style class features (e.g. descriptors) in Zope objects.
- Support for cyclic garbage collection.
- Ability to use new-style classes as base classes of Zope objects.
- Use of a version of ZODB that supports non-ExtensionClass classes.
- Pave the way for sharing code between Zope 2 and Zope 3.
I hope I can merge this into the Zope 2 head in a week or two.
This is a rather deep change and it is likely to cause some instability on the CVS head for a while. I'm doing this now, rather than later, to give us plenty of time to find and fix problems before a Zope 2.8 release.
Speaking of Zope 2.8, Jeremy Hylton has suggested that, perhaps, Zope 2.8 should be a release that provides *only*:
- New-style ExtensionClass, and
- ZODB 3.3, featuring multi-version concurrency control,
plus any features that have been added to the head since the Zope 2.7 branch was created.
This idea is pretty appealing to me. I wonder what others think of it.
-- Jim Fulton mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Python Powered! CTO (540) 361-1714 http://www.python.org Zope Corporation http://www.zope.com http://www.zope.org
Zope-Dev maillist - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
** No cross posts or HTML encoding! **
(Related lists - http://mail.zope.org/mailman/listinfo/zope-announce