On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Right now the fs implementation stores "script commands" that are cummulated
> upon connect() (I think?), validated as best as possible upon vote() and run
> upon finish().  I don't see why this couldn't be adapted to SVN txn's ...
> connect() = start a txn, vote() = validation (what this entails needs to be
> defined, could involve delta operations, revision number matching, etc ...
> ?), finish() = commit the svn txn.

The transaction script is necessary for exactly one thing: translation
between OIDs and paths.  I agonized over this for months, but translating
OIDs to paths simply requires complex machinery like this.  Also, there is
only one reason we have to translate OIDs to paths: opening files by inode
number is disallowed (and probably unreliable) in most operating systems.

In Subversion, is it possible to read/write a versioned object by unique
identifier rather than by path?  If so, it's a great blessing and we don't
need a transaction script.