On 16 Jul 2004 at 8:57, Chris Withers wrote:

> This often means that many more database connections are opened than are
> actually necessary. And if you start timing out inactive database
> connectiosn on the database side, you're in for a world of pain and
> suffering.
> I branched ZOracleDA some time ago to move away from this model for that
> very reason...
> What's the actual problem you're experiencing?

I have set the SAPDB timeout to 32400 seconds. However when running with more than 1
thread I still get "mysterious segfaults" in the sapdbapi component.

The SAP  folks say their adapter is "multi-thread capable", but I've come to believe
that only
means that it's ok to open a connection in one thread and use it in another, but NOT
to have
2 threads make requests on the same connection at the same time.

Also, two threads can' t open a connection "at the same time" because their connection
management isn't "thread safe".

What I need, I suppose, is a DB connection pool mechanism of some kind. I also have
Python extensions that need a connection as well. Getting the actual database
from a DA stinks (ie, it's not really possible). I'd like to see an API extension to
ZopeDA's to
allow Pythonscripts, Products and external methods get an actual db connection. But
that I
suppose is a problem to solve later.

I think I will take a look at ZOracleDA to see what you did.

Brad Clements,                [EMAIL PROTECTED]   (315)268-1000
http://www.wecanstopspam.org/                   AOL-IM: BKClements