This thread's not over 'til the fat lady sings.

OK, so apologies first:

Paul Winkler's comment in this thread was nearer the mark than Tres Seavers. clienthome is not relevant to where caches are created, and of course I need zeo-client-home.

Problem is now that zeo-client-home seems not to have the intended effect.
I set zeo-client-home to zeo1, in my first conf file and restart, but never see any cache files of that name.
I traced as far as the parse handler zeo_client_home. It's invoked with the correct value. But it stuffs the value into the env, and I can't see any other reference to ZEO_CLIENT pulling it back out of there again.
Working up the stack trace from, where the files are created (*-None-*), my client value is always None, but there's a gap in the middle that I did not bridge, around BaseConfig and ZeoConfig.

Has anyone been successful naming cache files? I'm on OSX Panther 10.3.

I've traced through to the zeo_client_name handler, and see the name of