The changes are not backward compatible, apparently.

On 28. Dez 2006, at 14:58, Andreas Jung wrote:

I know that this migration is a big hammer (for a minor release) however I have not found another solution to deal with the outstanding issues in a
reasonable and sane way. Therefore this migration must be tested. I am
thinking about a beta release for 2.10.2 in order to get the stuff tested
(I am also aware of the fact that most people don't test betas :-))

Anything that happens, happens.  --Douglas Adams