Ian Bicking wrote:
It would be a concern if, for instance, Plone started depending on buildout recipes for installation, without "plain" distutils recipes. Of course right now there are no distutils recipes for old-style Products. So actually it's an active issue -- if buildout enables Plone to keep from moving to distutils/setuptools/egg-style package deployment (because buildout is flexible enough to support the old patterns) then that would make it harder for workingenv. But I don't think anyone is proposing that buildout means that Plone (and Zope 2/Five) shouldn't continue its move towards traditional Python packaging.

No, quite the contrary in fact. The other day I wrote a proposal that Zope's old-style Products will turn into regular python packages using pkg_resource's namespace package support and eggs' entry points (http://wiki.zope.org/zope2/EggifyingZopesExtensionMechanismQuotProductsQuot). It will allow us to deploy old-style products as eggs (using setup.py). The proposal explicitly mentions workingenv and zc.buildout as two mechanisms that allow such deployment w/ Zope.

Next Zope 3 training at Camp5: http://trizpug.org/boot-camp/camp5