Ian Bicking wrote:
I would assume that buildout is specifically disabling easy_install's updating of easy-install.pth

WRT egg installation, buildout follows easy_install's multi-version model.
It installs eggs in such a way that multiple versions can be installed
at the same time.  As with easy_install in multi-version mode, no
easy_install.pth file is updated.

> -- buildout is still installing packages
with easy_install,

Not nearly as much as it used to.  In fact, buildout only uses
easy_install in one or 2 special cases.  As I've learned more about
setuptools, I've been able to use lower-level interfaces, which
are much cleaner.

but with some monkeypatches of the command. workingenv also monkeypatches easy_install, but only to change script creation (as noted in another email) and to keep it from rejecting workingenv's site.py.

Anyway, if easy_install was allowed to do its thing then they'd be more compatible.

I don't think this has much to do with compatibility.

The first step to compatibility is deciding what it means. :)
I'm all in favor of workingenv/buildout compatibility.
I'd like to see some specifics of how people would like
to use workingenv amd buildout together.  I have some guesses,
but I'd rather hear people say what they want to do.
I think this would be much more useful than a discussion
of implementation details at this point.  Once we know what
we want the end result to be, I'm sure you and I can work out
some implementation that makes sense.

Jim