--On 12. April 2008 21:43:40 -0400 Tres Seaver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

This is becoming increasingly painful
I will soon have a patch against Zope 2.11b1
which gets rid of this restriction.

If there is consense, I can add it to the Zope repository.

+1 from my side. Saves me the work to cleanup my own dirty
patch :-))

- -1 without *careful* analysis of how the patch is going to break
existing applications which rely on the fact that IDs are only ASCII
(and therefore don't need to be quoted).  At a minimum, this kind of
change is going to require documenting the risks, and getting soem
feedback, before any merge to a production release.

Please check the patch in on a "private" branch and ask for comments here.

@Dieter: please create a branch for this (and not as patch for Launchpad)

The patch is working for long time (possibly several years) within our
private Zope. So I would not expect much problems. Of course it needs testing and documentation.