On Apr 25, 2008, at 1:59 AM, Lennart Regebro wrote:

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 10:07 PM, Jim Fulton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
- If a file is documentation and a test, make sure it is good
documentation. In that case, documentation comes first. Don't add so many
tests that it ruins the documentation.

- Test edge cases in separate tests. These are typically short-ish strings
in test modules.

- A variation is to have a narrative that doesn't try hard to be
documentation. The narrative can be convenient, up to a point, even in a
test.  These should be clearly marked as not being documentation.

I'รถ happy to here this from an authorative source. I've been saying it
for years, and I have usually been contradicted by people saying "no
all tests should be doctests", Lets kill that sillyness once and for
all now. :-)

Everything I said above refers to doctests.

I only pointed out that long narrative doctests aren't always desirable.

Having said that, I can live with regular unit tests that are easy to follow and documented.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation