--On 24. Mai 2008 10:47:54 +0200 Jürgen kartnaller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

There seems to be some interest on the use of SQL databases with Zope.

Lovelysystems is now using SQL databases as the primary storage for their
applications. We use Zope and Postgres with Storm as ORM.
The main reason for switching to SQL database were speed issues with
queries.

Thanks for this interesting mail.

Some questions:

- how to you deal with binary large objects?

- how do you deal with changes in the data model and
 related migrations?

- how do you deal with hierarchical or semi-structured data
 (e.g. SGML, XML)?

We are working and building hybrid solutions on top of Zope 2 since years
where parts of the data is stored within the ZODB and metadata is stored within Postgres and this worked out pretty well. I would disagree that a RDBMS is the best solution for every particular usecase. The decision for the backend storage must be made for every project - either use the ZODB, a RDBMS or a mixture of both.

Andreas