Hanno Schlichting wrote:
> In all other debates we seemed to agree on not over specifying
> requirements in setup.py files, I wonder why anybody still tries to
> follow this route.

Tres argues for the easy_install case. If you don't have a meta-egg that
does the same as a versions section in a buildout, how do you get the
same versions each time?

If you *do* have a meta-egg, how do you override just one egg that you
need to replace for, say, a security fix?

> Let's see what other people who want to support easy_install do: They
> require you to use virtualenv and create a links page, which has all the
> dependencies in all the required versions on it:
> http://pylonshq.com/download/0.9.7/
> http://www.turbogears.org/2.0/downloads/2.0final/
> http://dist.repoze.org/zope2/dev/
> http://dist.plone.org/release/3.3rc2/
> In order to install from on of these you do for example:
> easy_install -f http://pylonshq.com/download/0.9.7 Pylons
> and that's it. Some projects package up the multiple steps (including
> installing setuptools) into a little helper script.
> As you might notice all that is required is a known URL and Apache
> serving a bunch of files directly.

Fair enough...

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk