Hi Chris!

Chris Withers wrote:
> (updating myself much much later)

(replying much much later)

> Chris Withers wrote:
>>> Your recipe is not published as part of Zope 2.12.
>> I'm not sure it needs to...
> It will be once Jens cranks the handle:
> http://svn.zope.org/Zope/branches/2.12/doc/INSTALL.rst?rev=104817&view=auto
>>> And it doesn't work on Windows.
>> Have you tried it?
> ...if you had, you would have noticed that the Win32 service stuff as
> broken, even without using buildout.

No. I did have tried with mkzopeinstance and zopeservice.py. And it did
work for me.

> I've now fixed that, and I'm happy to report that the buildout-based
> instances work just fine on Windows, and buildout instance or not, you
> no longer need that silly zopeservice.py file in your instance.

That's a great improvement. I just found a small regression, see

> So, no excuse for needing mkzopeinstance and its ilk anymore ;-)

In some situations I still prefer the classic way to create instances.

You might have noticed that the "Creating a classic Zope Instance"
section in INSTALL.rst is much simpler than the "Creating a
buildout-based Zope Instance" section.

And there is still the question about the right way to work with dev
eggs. I quote your question from an other mail in this thread because I
didn't answer it so far:

>> The dev eggs are local to my dev buildout, but not local to the test
>> instances.
> What does this actually mean? For me, a "dev egg" is usually just an svn
> checkout, specified in {buildout:develop}. For me, they're never usually in
> any "buildout", unless the package itself is buildout-driven and I'm actually
> developing it, but that has nothing to do with my test instances... That
> said, I often use a few "dev eggs" that aren't buildout driven at all, so I
> really fail to see your point...

http://svn.zope.org/repos/main/CMF.buildout/trunk has a src directory
with several svn externals. Buildout includes the dev eggs from the src

http://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/buildouts/plone-coredev/trunk uses
mr.developer to use the src directory in a similar way.

The dev eggs are created before running the buildout command, but they
belong to a specific buildout.

That sometimes makes "buildout-based" Zope instances more clumsy than
classic instances.