On Nov 25, 2009, at 10:41 AM, Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Thoughts?

FWIW, this mirrors some of the thoughts I've had, after a lot of discussions
with Launchpad/Canonical engineers about the pros and cons of the Zope
interface and component code.  My OSCON presentation touched on some of these
discussions, observations and ideas.  Ideas on addressing the problems in the
feedback are the focus of my upcoming PyCon presentation.

I'm in the middle of an experiment to modify the code without backwards
compatibility concerns, to see where it takes me.  Obviously, there's an
extremely high hurdle for backwards incompatibility, but it was the experiment
I wanted to pursue, and one that (obviously) I felt had merit.  My intent is to
show these at PyCon and start a discussion about the value of the changes, what
could be done without breaking backwards compatibility, what could be done with
minimal backwards compatibility breakage, and if anything I discovered merits
more significant breakage.

I'd prefer to think about these myself for a while, and continue to experiment.
 I've already digested a lot of feedback, from the interviews at Launchpad and
Canonical, from past mailing list discussions, from documents like BFG's design
defence (http://docs.repoze.org/bfg/1.1/designdefense.html), and from personal
discussions.  Most people have heard some variation of the (perceived/real)
problems before; I'm not ready to settle on my preferred solutions myself.  I'm
seeing how everything fits together, and it's a big puzzle to assemble.

My experiments don't need to hold anyone else up, of course, but I do have a
concrete deadline to deliver something. :-)  I'll share once I feel that I am
reasonably happy with my choices, which may or may not be significantly before

If other folks want to run on without me, I can at least point to the slides
for the OSCON talk I gave with the Canonical/Launchpad feedback if you are