Hanno Schlichting wrote:
> Hi Tres,
> I've seen you started some work on Zope2 and its WSGI publisher. This
> is awesome :)
> How does this relate to repoze.zope2?
> I'd love to have Zope2 actually support WSGI out-of-the-box. It should
> probably be based on either a simplified repoze.zope2 codebase or
> simply something that gets the job done.
> So what's your goal with this and is there any way I can help?

After a question on the repoze list about running Zope 2.12.x behind a
WSGI server, I went to try that out.  I came up with a minimal .wsgi
file to run behind mod_wsgi::

 $ cat src/Zope2/utilities/skel/bin/zope2.wsgi.in
 from Zope2.Startup.run import configure
 from Zope2 import startup
 # mod_wsgi looks for the special name 'application'.
 from ZPublisher.WSGIPublisher import publish_module as application

which works, mostly, except that all the App.ImageFile stuff, as well as
anything else using IStreamIterator, doesn't.  Streaming output also
doesn't work:  I'm not sure what else.

I set out to fix these bugs in ZPublisher.WSGIPublisher.WSGIResponse,
and was dismayed to find it an untested hack-up of the original Publish
module, with an untested subclass of HTTPResponse, itself almost
completely test-free.  So I went down the rabbit hole, and got nearly
100% coverage of HTTPResponse on my branch, along with cleaning out some
decade-old fossils.

Remaining work would be to write tests for WSGIResponse, and then tweak
it (and HTTPResponse) to make doing the Right Thing(TM) possible for

Beyond fixing those bugs:

- - Document using Zope2 behind mod_wsgi.

- - Write a function usable as a PasteDeploy app factory, to allow
  configuration of Zope2 as the endpoint of a pipeline.  Document
  this feature.

- - Supply a stripped-down version of WSGIPublisher, delgating the
  current implementation's "full stack" behavior (error handling,
  transaction / retry integration) to middleware.  The guts of this
  can be lifted from repoze.zope2.z2bob. Document using this lighter-
  weight publisher.

- --
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)