Within the last few months you committed the following change to

The commit message is "Fixed the compilation of the C extension with
python 2.6: refactored it as a setuptools Feature."  Can I ask what
problem was being fixed with this commit?

It undid work I did in this revision:

I should have left a comment in there: the work was effectively there to
support building zope.i18nmessageid on Jython and other platforms like
GAE that do not support C extensions at all, even optionally.  The
package no longer builds on Jython ("error: Setup script exited with
error: Compiling extensions is not supported on Jython"), although to be
honest I don't really understand why not.  I'm hoping we can find a way
to retain whatever fix you were trying to make but still allow the
package to build on Jython, but I think I need to understand what
problem you were fixing first.

- C