I need to store persistent principals in a folder in the ZODB. I do not need
any UI for the principal nor the principal folder. I'd like to use
zope.pluggableauth to authenticate them.

zope.app.authentication.principalfolder does nearly exactly what I need. But I
do not like to use it as it has many bad dependencies only needed for ZMI.
Even z3c.authenticator seems to do too much as it contains UI code, too.

Is there something else like
Or what is the way nowadays to store persistent principals?

Could it be a solution to extract zope.app.authentication.principalfolder into
a new package like `zope.principalfolder` or even zope.pluggableauth?

Yours sincerely,
Michael Howitz · m...@gocept.com · software developer