On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 1:44 PM, Michael Howitz <m...@gocept.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I need to store persistent principals in a folder in the ZODB. I do not need
> any UI for the principal nor the principal folder. I'd like to use
> zope.pluggableauth to authenticate them.
> zope.app.authentication.principalfolder does nearly exactly what I need. But
> I do not like to use it as it has many bad dependencies only needed for ZMI.
> Even z3c.authenticator seems to do too much as it contains UI code, too.
> Is there something else like
> zope.app.authentication.principalfolder.PrincipalFolder?
> Or what is the way nowadays to store persistent principals?
> Could it be a solution to extract zope.app.authentication.principalfolder
> into a new package like `zope.principalfolder` or even zope.pluggableauth?

Souheil Chelfouh initially extracted the pluggable auth utility from
zope.app.authentication to zope.pluggableauth to not have all the
browser views and this principalfolder implementation.
In Dolmen http://www.dolmen-project.org/ (set of libraries you can use
with Grok to build a small CMS), we have our own principal folder
plugin implementation
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/dolmen.app.authentication which is based
on dolmen.authentication and zope.pluggableauth.
And you have an example of a User content type in:

Vincent Fretin