On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 09:53:37 +0200
Adam GROSZER <agros...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,

> I made a small modification to zodbupdate that makes it quite faster.
> Please give it a quick review.
> svn://svn.zope.org/repos/main/zodbupdate/branches/adamg-faster

  I don't think your fix cover all cases.

  Correct me if I am wrong, what you do is not unpickle class data pickle
  unless the class_meta information pickle of that record changed, and
  need update ?

  However, that imply that this doesn't update anymore any class
  reference that is not itself persistent (so is only in the
  class data pickle) and not used by a persistent renamed-as-well class
  (otherwise the change in the class_meta pickle would trigger
  an update of this record).

  If we want to make it faster, all I can see is pack the database
  before, as it would contain less records to go through after. I am
  not sure, that adding parallelism would help a lot, unless you have
  the good hardware for, but we could make it to see (it is not that

  On which database size you want to make it faster ? I had 20Go
  databases and it toke less than one hour, if I remember correctly.
  It's long, but I don't see how to make it faster, in the code itself.

Sylvain Viollon -- Infrae
t +31 10 243 7051 -- http://infrae.com
Hoevestraat 10 3033GC Rotterdam -- The Netherlands