On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Lennart Regebro <rege...@gmail.com> wrote:
> High hanging fruit:
> ===================
> zc.buildout: (depends on itself, hard to use 2to3)
>    setuptools - Done
>    zope.testing - [test] Done, not released
> COMMENT: Since zc.buildout uses itself to install and run and test, it needs
> support Python 3 before you can start porting it to Python 3. Tricky. :-)

This is like saying it needed to support Python 2 before it could be
written on Python 2.

> Using 2to3 get's complicated, so I'm trying to port this to Python 2 without
> it.

I assume you mean Python 3.  I think this (not trying to use 2to3) is
the right approach.

> That too is a horrid nightmare, since zc.buildout also tend to
> generate code from strings,

The code it generates is pretty simple, but if it can't generate
2&3-compatible code, then not worrying about 2to3 should make
generating code simpler.

> and then makes things even more fun by
> having tests that require there to be at least three different
> versions released on PyPI. :-)

The upgrade tests?  The bootstrap tests?  I would disable these to get started.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton