Python 2.7 added the concept of expectedFailures to unittest.
See http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/articles/unittest2.shtml#more-skipping

When a test decorated with @unittest.expectedFailure does not raise an
exception, this test is counted as success when running the tests with
zope.[testing.]testrunner instead of being counted separately as 'unexpected

It should be handled separately as a new result class besides failures and

As it would be heavy to implement the whole concept I have a workaround which
is supported by Python's unittest:

When `addUnexpectedSuccess` on zope.testrunner.runner.TestResult is None, we
signal unittest that zope.testrunner ist not able to handle unexpected
Although this produces a Warning it counts the unexpected success as failure
instead of being ignored.

I wrote a bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/zope.testing/+bug/719369
and prepared a branch with the described workaround:

If no-one objects I'd like to merge it to the trunk and cut a new release.

zope.testing.testrunner has same problem, so I'd like to add the workaround to
the 3.9 branch there, too. So it can be used in Zope 2.13.x, which still uses

Yours sincerely,
Michael Howitz · m...@gocept.com · software developer