On 03/21/2011 04:08 PM, Jim Fulton wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Martijn Faassen
> <faas...@startifact.com>  wrote:
>> On 03/21/2011 03:28 PM, Jim Fulton wrote:
>>> I don't know what the right answer is ... at least not yet. :)
>>
>> In Django and sqlalchemy declarative a meta class is used for this kind
>> of configuration. Since that is subclassing, it implies inheritance, I
>> think.
>
> Ick.
>
>> Of course metaclasses are not very good for this as they're surprising
>> in other ways
>
> Agreed.

Martian allows you to use a similar spelling to metaclasses (base
classes), without the weird surprises during run-time (after
configuration is already done), and without significant import-time
side-effects.

With megrok.rdb I actually use SQLAlchemy declarative without their
declarative metaclass, as the SQLAlchemy folks were kind enough to tweak
their config code so I could call it directly from a grokker.

Regards,

Martijn