Hi everyone,

Fred asked about the reasoning behind recent version numbers as we ported
packages to Python 3.

We decided that any package that depends on an alpha or unreleased package
should itself be an alpha release. There are 2 packages that started the
avalanche:

* zope.security: Tres wanted 4.0.0 to also have PyPy support, so he only did
an alpha release to unblock the porting effort. Today, I finished the PyPy
support and he released 4.0.0b1.

* ZODB: We currently do not have a release for a ported ZODB. For any package
requiring the ZODB directly or indirectly, we added a snapshot sdist of the
py3 branch into the package to demonstrate the tests passing. (See the zodb-
dev mailing list for the current status.)

Of course, the alpha releases are really stable, all the tests pass under
Python 2.6 and 2.7.

Regards,
Stephan
--