Here's some more info. We (developers) got in a bad habit of listing svn.zope.org paths as the "home pages" of our distutils packages. This was something I did that got copied. :( setuptools follows distutils home page links looking for distributions. One of the SAs here configured Apache to reject setuptools requests to the viewcvs site. Hopefully, this will help.

Jim