Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
Jim Fulton wrote:

Martijn Faassen wrote:

If someone that is not interested in Zope 3 in the first place wrote a Python library we'd like to include, the relicensing hurdle will be larger, though. What's to be done with Twisted integration, for instance?

Relying on new external libraries with the core of Zope 3 will always be a big step. Then again, I also think that this way large amount of new features can be made available to Zope 3 without us having to reinvent wheels. It makes Zope 3 a more open platform. Perhaps the procedure for adopting externally written code should be spelled out. There are quite a few shapes this could take (external library, included in Zope 3 tree), and right now it seems nobody but Jim knows what is required, or whether such inclusion is allowable at all in the first place.

We can and often do include 3rd-party non-ZPL software. So it is certainly
possible.

Currently, I'd prefer that ZC employees check such 3rd-party code in.
The current system isn't great, but I can't think of a better one.

The question is whether we always need to check it into our svn. pytz, for example, is a separate package that we just had to make ZPL and check it in, instead of simply just bundling it loosely. I expect this sort of thing will sooner or later get us into trouble with package maintainers that need to maintain (e.g. Debian) packages for both pytz and Zope and thus will inevitably run into conflicts.

Right. Someday, we need to find a way to treat these separate parts as separately installed packages.

With twisted, we have at least found a sensible approach using svn:externals.

This isn't sensible at all. If the twisted svn repository was down, it would have the effect of making it impossible for us to get a clean checkout. I don't like externals, but I can live with them within the same repository. I don't want to see externals to external repositories on a Zope trunk or release branch. Eventually, we'll need to make a vendor import of twisted. We might want to more formally follow the vendor-import model for things like pytz, docutils, lxml, and the like.

Jim