On Feb 3, 2006, at 4:00 AM, Egon Frerich wrote:

Gary Poster schrieb am 27.01.2006 21:40:

On Jan 27, 2006, at 5:16 AM, Christian Theune wrote:

(this is about zope.schema)

I assumed that the fields Bytes and ASCII have some distinction. The
ASCII field explicitly checks for every character to have an ordinal
value lower than 127.

Bytes however does a cast in fromUnicode(u) that does str(u). This will
break if there are non-ascii characters in the unicode string.
Effectively this makes it an ASCII field as well.

However, I don't know enough about the environment, so eventually this is all good. When does the fromUnicode method get called? Everytime I
use this field through zope.app.form or zope.formlib?

I think it might be leveraged elsewhere, but the big client AFAIK is zcml.

But zcml needs two types:
- - unicode for title and description parameters (what is not the case in
the actual version)
- - bytes elsewere.

Hi Egon. I'm not sure I followed your message, but to clarify my statement, I meant that the big client for the `fromUnicode` method (of all schema fields) is zcml, though I'm pretty sure that it is also used elsewhere. I was not talking about any field specifically.