On 2/8/06, Chris Withers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yes, but then we end up with Zope3 3.2.5, which is exactly what caused
> us to drop the X3 previously ;-)

Thinking about the X it is unfortunate it was used to indicate
compatibility with Zope2 and the experimental version of Zope.  It was
mentioned on the users list how Mac OS X communicated the message
adding just the X that this was a completely different operating
system to the previous Mac OS-s.  Of course, as Martin pointed out, it
is not just the brand name but the marketing effort behind it that
makes the difference.  But to me X could very easily stand for Extreme
Programming which is what Zope3 is about - agile, rapid, adaptive,
iterative, extreme development (throwing in a few more words for the
upcoming marketing campaign :).  The X can send this message better
than any other single character and it's not as obtrusive as adding or
changing a name.  I believe to certain extent there is already
understanding out there that X could mean XP.  I also think that

Zope 2.8
Zope 2.9
Zope X 3.2
Zope X 3.3

is clearer that this is a different Zope not just a next release, as
it would be at the moment:

Zope 2.8
Zope 2.9
Zope 3.2
Zope 3.3

or is it

Zope 2.8
Zope 2.9
Zope 3 3.2
Zope 3 3.3

Back in the days of X3.0 I think Philipp in the heading of this
article named "Formula X" used X in a different context and I liked
it:

http://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/54/Zope_X30_Review.pdf

(maybe we should check with Philipp if this article could be reviewed
for 3.2 and used for the new site as it gives a nice overview)

I am not sure if it was a good idea raising the X from the dead so I
am slowly ducking for cover.  But what's the big deal, we just "adapt
it to a different context"...   or is it "adapt context to a different
interface" ..   or ... anyhow you get my drift :)

Alen