Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
In CMF things are very easy to understand, because a layer is simply a
folder. I can explain that in five minutes to a template programmer.

Why does the template programmer need to know about layers?

Because in CMF, if you want to customize or create a skin, you need to know about the so called "layers".

Maybe this sounds a bit NAIVE, but would it be possible to make it like
in CMF?

The CMF approach is very limiting. The fact that a layer equals a
physical location (a folder) led to every CMF-based product coming up
with its own layer -- because there is no way to put stuff into existing
layers, not even the default layer. Layers as they are in Zope 3 have
stopped this senseless layer proliferation.

I find Zope 3's approach much simpler and much easier to explain than
the CMF's approach. In Zope 3 (especially with my proposed changes in
place), a layer is simply a label (read: marker interface) on the
request. When we now look up pages and resources (e.g. images), we take
the request into account and therefore inevitably that label. We will
only find pages and resources associated (read: registered) for this
label. Good news is that any page or resource can be associated for this
label, we just have to remember to do that in their ZCML directive.

See, now I even explained this to a "template programmer", though I
don't think he'd care.

Maybe I mean something different. I just want a folder in which I can drop all the files I want to customize (I love to customize), without registering something. Is this a layer? You're right, I don't care :)