Wade Leftwich wrote:
Shane Hathaway wrote:
[snip]

Yes, that's a valid point.  I also stopped myself from listing folders,
since a folder is a general organizational tool.  Let's just talk about
templates and scripts.

[snip]

I think I've got a decent use case for templates in the ZODB, but I
could be wrong. I work for a large publishing company, and typically one
of our applications will get installed on 40 or 50 sites within the same
Zope instance, differing only in cosmetic ways. It seems like the
logical thing to do here is to treat the templates as data and let them
be edited TTW, limiting the coding level to 'presentation  only'.

That can work, but be aware of the customers who customize more than you expect. They'll push the limits of the templates, and some of them might push so hard that they wind up creating a whole new framework based on your template API. You'll have to help them migrate their templates to new versions of your software, you'll have to put their templates under version control, you'll have to test new versions of your system with their templates, etc.

I saw this pattern emerge several times at Zope Corporation, and I don't think it's specific to Zope 2. Maybe you can design a system that exposes a perfect, unchanging API to templates, but I'm pretty sure I can't.

Shane