Jim Fulton wrote:

Martijn Faassen wrote:

Jim Fulton wrote:
[snip]

I think that having one name for two radically different, though related,
things is very confusing. There are really
2 main technologies that people care about:

1. The Zope app server. This is characterized by things like an object
   file system, through-the-web scripting and/or development, pluggable
   course-grained add-ons, etc.

I must warn you that what you call 'app server' is not what I call app server; I believe that using the word appserver for this set of technologies could be very confusing to people. I believe Zope 3 is an application server. I believe, say, Django is an application server too, even though as far as I know it lacks an object file system and through the web scripting. Can we find another word for what you mean?

I wasn't trying to define app server. I was describing the Zope app server.

Jim

why not say that the Zope application server is based on the Z Foundation Libraries (ZFL) ?

"Z" can be interpreted as being short name for "Zope" without creating a new name for it.

which can also be interpreted as the libraries used by the zope foundation software (ZF)?

/JM