Tres Seaver wrote:

Note that the fragment identifier is *never* going to be passed to the
server by a "real" browser:  instead, the browser strips of the fragment
part, submits the remainder of the URL to the server, and then does a
search for the appropriate '<a name="bar">' element *on the client side*.

I'm not sure how this is pertinent to the problem you have found, but
Zope will never traverse '#bar' or '%23bar' in the real world.

Good point... though if I type a URL with '%23bar' into the URL bar, it does seem to try to traverse to it, which I suppose makes sense - you did the %23 escape for a reason. :)