On Sep 6, 2006, at 6:41 AM, Chris Withers wrote:

Jim Fulton wrote:
Zope 3 was declared ready for production because people were using it in production,

A mistake perhaps?

I don't think so.

People who used Zope 3 should have been made aware of these issues. Maybe there weren't.

They were, but there are benefits to Zope 3 ;-)

Right. Caveat emptor.

the messages, but we certainly tried to be informative. We've also tried very hard to be backward compatible.

bzzt.. nope, backwards compatible for a period of time, which is NOT backwards compatability in my mind.

Woop woop woop. Ding ding. Moo moo.

That;s your mind. I disagree,

I can still use 8.3 filenames in Windows XP if I really want. That's backwards compatability and is about the only thing MS ever did right...

Uh huh.

I do think the rate of change needs to decrease and I'm pretty confident it will. The local-registration changes in 3.3 are the biggest remaining API/Architectural change I'm aware of.

Yay! I can only hope. It would certainly help Zope 3 become a much more easily adoptable framework imho.

I think that the biggest change ahead will be in redoing the packaging to:
- be egg friendly, if not egg-centric,

But that should change anything w.r.t. actual use, right?

It will likely cause some more things to move out of zope.app.

 It will probably have huge impacts on installation.

Jim

Powered!
CTO                             (540) 361-1714
http://www.python.org