On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 08:59:00AM +0000, Chris Withers wrote:
> It's been way too long since I did that, but how do I go about getting
> an svn checkout of Zope 3 that I can develop with? Is there a how-to
> somehwere?

If there isn't, you could write one on the Zope 3 wiki.  ;-)

> I'd imagine it goes something like:
> 1 - checkout svn url you wish to develop with

  svn co svn+ssh://svn.zope.org/repos/main/Zope3/trunk Zope3

  svn co svn+ssh://svn.zope.org/repos/main/Zope3/branches/3.3 Zope3

or replace the svn+ssh with svn

> 2 - do some kind of inplace build

By typing 'make'.

> 3 - point your mkzopeinstance-created instance at the checkout

I usually don't bother with mkzopeinstance, just symlink my packages
into src/ and drop a one-liner file into zopeskel/etc/package-includes/.

I'm not sure mkzopeinstance even works in a svn checkout.  IIRC I saw
a couple of reports of it failing when run from the checkut.  The
response usually was "you're not supposed to use it from a checkout;
run make install first, then use mkzopeinstance from the installation

> 4 - develop

This step looks deceptively simple. :-)

> 5 - run tests

python test.py [options]

(in the root directory of the checkout).

> How do I do 2 and 5?
> For 2, how do I do a suitable in-place build on Linux?

Make sure you have gcc, make, python-dev installed, then type 'make'.

> Are there still
> up-to-date pre-built binary bits for Windows that I can unpack? If so,
> where do I get them from?

No idea.  I ran away to more developer-friendly OSes a long time ago.

> For 5, how do I run tests for a module in the checkout with the
> testrunner, as opposed to tests for a module in the instance?

python test.py -s module

I am not sure if there's a way to make Zope 3 and its test runner notice
my packages without symlinking them into src/.

zc.buildout may be the answer.  I haven't used it on my projects yet,
because what I already use works well enough for me.

Marius Gedminas
If your company is not involved in something called "ISO 9000" you probably
have no idea what it is.  If your company _is_ involved in ISO 9000 then you
definitely have no idea what it is.
                                (Scott Adams - The Dilbert principle)